Trekking in Svaneti
Trekking in Georgia’s Caucasus Mountains
- The balance caucasian between culture and nature.
- We will visit the highest village in Europe.
- We will walk through magical forests and chromatic.
Day 1 Departure for Georgia
Arrival in Kutaisi. Pick up from Kutaisi international airport. Hotel accommodation and overnight.
Kutaisi – Land of legendary Golden Fleece. Elegant, tree lined streets with 19th century houses, along with several attractive parks, make Kutaisi a very beautiful place to stroll around and take in the many sights.
Day 2: Arrival Arrival in Kutaisi.
Pick up from Kutaisi international airport. Hotel accommodation and overnight in Kutaisi. (-/- /-) Kutaisi – Prometheus caves – Zugdidi – Becho (270 km.) After breakfast drive to explore Prometheus Caves – one of Georgia’s natural wonders providing visitors with breath-taking examples of stalactites, stalagmites, curtains, petrified waterfalls, cave pearls, underground rivers, and lakes. Then continue our way towards Svaneti – the most exciting part of your trip, the region of the highest mountains and glaciers and the most abiding ancient traditions. En-route photo-stop at Enguri hydroelectric station. Arrive in Becho. Hotel accommodation, dinner and overnight in Becho. (B/-/D)
Day 3: Becho – Ushba Glacier – Mestia (20 km.)
After breakfast we will walk through the forest for the beautiful Mountain Ushba (4700m). The spectacular walk will take us to the waterfalls where we can enjoy the magnificent views of the Ushba Glacier. The first 2 hours are easier while the next 3 hours will be more difficult. On the way back drive to Mestia. Arrive in Mestia – centre of the Upper Svaneti located at an elevation of 1,500 meters in the Caucasus Mountains. It is a conglomeration of at least 10 hamlets, dotted with picturesque Svan towers. Hotel accommodation, dinner and overnight in Mestia. (B/PL/D)
Ascent/descent: ↓↑ 650 m
Approximate walking time: 6 hours Distance: 16 km
Day 4: Mestia – Lakhiri – Mulakhi
Breakfast at the hotel. From Mestia drive 4X4 for approximately 20-25 min. to the river from where start trekking towards Mulakhi village through the village of Lakhiri. Trek over the blooming flower meadows and along the rhododendron bushes with the views of the Tetnuldi Mountain (4800 m), the mountains Banguriani (3885m) and the famous mountain Ushba (4700m). Picnic lunch en route. In the evening, dinner and overnight at the local guesthouse in Mulakhi. (B/PL/D)
Ascent/descent: ↑775 m ↓415 m
Approximate walking time: 5 hours Distance: 12 km
Day 5: Mulakhi – Adishi
Breakfast at the hotel. Start trekking towards Adishi village – a small, original and authentic village situated in the middle of the mountains of the Greater Caucasus – between Ushguli and Mestia. Adishi is worthwhile in many respects – just because the village is far more untouched and less frequented by tourists than other villages. But also because of the stone houses from the Middle Ages with their fortified towers that tower above the village. Picnic lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at the local guesthouse in Adishi. (B/PL/D)
Ascent/descent: ↑775 m ↓415 m
Approximate walking time: 4 hours Distance: 12 km
Day 6: Adishi – Iprali
After breakfast, we will leave Adishi village and start walking through the long alpine valley with its characteristic landscape of green meadows where flock of sheep graze the green grass. We will reach the river and cross it by horses. Afterwards we will climb the Chkhutnieri pass (2722 m), from where you can enjoy a beautiful view over the entire scenery between Tetnudi (4800m) and Shkhara (5068m) mountains. We will start descend towards Khalde village. Finally, we will arrive to Iprali. Dinner and accommodation at the local guesthouse in Iprali. (B/PL/D)
Ascent/descent: ↑650 m ↓800 m
Approximate walking time: 6 hours Distance: 14 km
Day 7: Iprali – Ushguli
Breakfast in the morning. After walking few kilometres along the road, we will follow a path that goes up towards Ushguli. Located at an altitude of 2 200m this village is considered to be one of the highest continuously inhabited settlements in Europe. Ushguli and generally the whole Upper Svaneti region is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The village is most famous for its abundance of watchtowers and this is where you get the view of the highest mountain in Georgia – Mt. Shkhara (5 068m). Visit Lamaria church – small basilica built in the 12th century famous for its frescoes and defensive tower. Dinner and overnight in Ushguli. (B/PL/D)
Ascent/descent: ↓200 m ↑500 m Approximate walking time: 4 hours Distance: 12 km
Day 8: Ushguli – Shkhara – Mestia
After breakfast, start hiking tour in a beautiful wide valley along the Enguri River towards the bottom of the glacier of Shkhara Mountain (5 068 m.) – the highest mountain in Georgia, up to the place where the river Enguri originates (2 800 m). After trekking, drive back to Mestia by 4X4 vehicle. Dinner and overnight in Mestia. (B/PL/D)
Ascent/descent: ↑↓300 m
Approximate walking time: 6 hours Distance: 18 km
Day 9: Mestia – Martvili – Kutaisi (300 km.)
Breakfast at the hotel. From the Great Caucasus Mountains, we descend to the subtropical coastline of palm trees, citrus groves and tea plantations. Visit Martvili Canyon and enjoy raw beauty of the nature where you can explore mountain river gorge, limestone natural bridges, overview platforms, waterfalls. Hotel accommodation, dinner and overnight in Kutaisi. (B/-/D)
Day 10: Kutaisi – Gelati Monastery complex – Departure (50 km.)
After breakfast in the morning proceed to Gelati Monastery Complex and Academy (12th century) once a major centre of enlightenment in Georgia, founded by King David the Builder in 1106 that represents the flourishing mediaeval architecture in Georgia. The complex is UNESCO World Heritage site. Transfer to Kutaisi International Airport and departure. (B/-/-)
~ Have a safe flight ~
- Private transportation airport/hotel/airport.
- Private transport in mountain area.
- Transfer in jeep to start the trek on days 3 and 6.
- Off-road for the baggage.
- Local guide speaking English.
- A mountain guide in Svaneti Georgian-speaking or English during the days of trekking (3, 4, 5, 6)
- All the accommodations.
- Meals as specified in the itinerary of the day-to-day. (7 breakfasts, 4 picnic in the mountains and 6 dinners)
- Entries to the caves of Prometheus and Canyon of Martvili.
- A bottle of water per person and day.
- Horses to cross the river on the day 4 of the route.
- International flight Kutaisi.
- Travel insurance.
- Supplements for pernoctas individual. (Subject to availability)
- Alcoholic beverages or outside food.
- Unforeseen expenses caused by circumstances uncontrollable as cancellations or flight delays, road blockage, evacuation, unscheduled and expenses caused by the departure before the date specified in the programme, weather conditions, natural disasters, etc...
- Any aspect, accessory or additional, not included in the program.
Many nationalities, listed on www.geoconsul.gov.ge do not need visa for visits of up to a year. Those who need visas can get them online through evisa.gov.ge. Please note that you must present relevant valid visa or residence permit along with your travel document/passport at the moment of crossing Georgian border.
• In Georgia, codeine medicines are strictly prohibited and are subject to prosecution.
• Luggage: During trekking, you only have to carry a small daily bag for the journey. The rest luggage is transported with an accompanying vehicle.
• The following things would be useful: Sun and rain protection: Sunscreen, hat, rain and wind jacket; comfortable trekking shoes and hiking sticks for some sights.
• The ladies will need the headscarf while entering the Georgian Orthodox Churches.